[plug] [OT] big email delays?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Dec 3 16:28:57 WST 2003

> I've noticed more spam than normal hitting my work's mail server since
> the weekend (a lot more than usual came in over the weekend as well).

I'm getting a heck of a lot - 900 messages in the Postmaster mailbox
this morning :-( and my junk box was well above average too. Still, I
haven't heard of any ISPs being overloaded, whirlpool hasn't mentioned
anything, the iiNet netstatus list hasn't said anything about mail
faults, etc.

Nonetheless, this seems rather odd, and I can't see how any issue could
possibly be at this end.

> I haven't noticed any delays in email being sent though yet.

Mail from [plug] etc is nearly instant, as usual, for me. Nonetheless,
I'm getting reports from users of messages sent yesterday that still
haven't arrived - a few is not too strange, but we're talking lots.
There's no apparent pattern to it, either. Something funny seems to be
going on, and mail server trouble at a few big ISPs seems a likely
explanation.

Craig Ringer