[plug] [OT] big email delays?

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Wed Dec 3 16:50:32 WST 2003

Craig Ringer wrote:

> I'm getting a heck of a lot - 900 messages in the Postmaster mailbox
> this morning :-(

I got around half that many to Postmaster on the weekend...

> and my junk box was well above average too. Still, I haven't heard of
> any ISPs being overloaded, whirlpool hasn't mentioned anything, the
> iiNet netstatus list hasn't said anything about mail faults, etc.
>
> Nonetheless, this seems rather odd, and I can't see how any issue
> could possibly be at this end.

Is your mail server reporting delays delivering to certain addresses at all?

Generally it should (suppose it depends on how yours is setup) return
messages to the client if a message is delayed in being sent and reveals
where it was delayed.  I wouldn't be surprised if its probably just
email being sent to those poor saps using Bigpond or Ozemail that was
being delayed.

/ Ben