[plug] Re: AGM query

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Dec 3 17:26:10 WST 2003

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 05:09:07PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:

| I think that's ex officio, no nomination required! :-) The rules of
| incorporation have something to say about nominations. Would it be
| fair to say that these, at least, need to be abided and abided by?
| <http://www.cantech.net.au/plug/Rules.html>

Interesting.  I can't stand documents written in that manner - my eyes
glaze over after a few clauses beginning along the lines of "subrule (6)
do not apply ......" - but it seems as though we're too late for any
nominations now?

    (3) Subject to subrule (5), a person is not eligible for election to
    membership of the Committee unless a member has nominated him for
    election by delivering notice in writing of that nomination, signed
    by-

            (a) the nominator; and
            (b) the nominee to signify~ his or her willingness
	    to stand for election, to the Secretary not less
	    than 28 days before the day on which the annual
	    general meeting concerned is to be held.

Note the "28 days before the AGM" clause.  OTOH the nominations for last
years AGM (the one in February 2003) were < 28 days before the AGM
itself.  So either I'm mis-parsing this, or these rules have little in
common with the way Plug is actually governed :-)

Cheers,

Cameron.

PS. Is subrule (2) even a complete sentence?  It seems to be missing a
verb phrase.  Rule (5) also seems to be incredibly badly worded - is
it saying that people who have already been elected can propose and
second themselves at the AGM, or that /anyone/ can?