[plug] Implementing a shared directory over NFS

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Dec 3 18:06:28 WST 2003

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 10:25:33PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
| In message <20031128045301.GA13704 at erdos.home>
| on Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 12:53:01PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
| > I'm trying to work out the best way to set up a "shared" directory which
| > is writable to all users in a certain group.  (Sounds simple, eh?)
| [...]
| > I've looked into using ACLs,
|
| I don't know the POSIX specification of ACLs but, yes, at least some
| vendors' UNIX ACL implementations would facilitate what you want.

Thanks.  Looking into the documentation of Linux's ACLs it seems that
they could do what I wanted by setting a "default ACL" for that
directory.  However, I ended up just mounting the samba share with
smbfs, which isn't pretty but it works without patching kernels and
possibly other software to support ACLs.

Cameron.