Roles: (was: Re: [plug] Re: AGM query)

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Thu Dec 4 10:35:13 WST 2003

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 23:50:01 +0800 Cameron Patrick <cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 11:16:02PM +0800, Harry McNally wrote:
>
> | Secretary is a busy task if you keep good records of what the committee is
> | working on (I know). Chair is a role to represent the org and also to be a
> | good meeting moderator and to encourage input from everyone. And theirs
> | other roles; treasurer, webmaster.
>
> No way am I going to take on the job of chairman - and I'd be surprised
> if anyone wanted me there; I'm sure we could find a much better
> figurehead^W supreme grand master to rule over us.

Weeelll. The chair[wo]man's role shouldn't be filled by the supreme overlord
type of person. In public companies, the chairman really has a role of
guiding the board's interaction to decision making; not making those
decisions. The role needs level-headedness and often carries responsibilties
of a casting vote that might call on personal views to be set aside and
balance and objectivity a useful attribute.

(I'm not suggesting that PLUG is a venue for uber-committee-management
but it's always worth doing things well for future roles of this sort.
Technical people do move into these positions and there are some
noteable successful ones .. even Bill ;-)

> Likewise, treasurer
> implies some semblance of fiscal responsibility.  I wouldn't trust
> myself in that position, so I fail to see why anyone else would ;-)

Yes. I'd be vocal if I saw a person stepping up into the treasurer role
that I didn't think would cut it. Issues of probity aside, you do need
to have someone that just manages money and documentation about it with
aplomb.

> Secretary, librarian, general dogsbody, etc is more in line with what
> I'd feel comfortable doing.  Maybe even Vice Pres if somehow we're
> unable to find a better candidate.

Never step up feeling that you're the second best backstop. Volunteering
requires effort and it's just not fun if you aren't tackling the role with
purpose. Only do it because you think you can do it well.

> [1] Harry: In case you want to match a face from the workshop to the
> name, there's a photo of me at http://cp.yi.org/cameron/cameron.jpg

Hahaha. Good one. Thanks Cameron, I actually had your face in my minds eye
but I tend to jabber on with various questions at workshops instead of
important and useful stuff like "So wot's your name again?". Cheers.

I really think you'd tackle any role well.

Who else is out there on the list that could contribute ?

All the best
Harry

--
linux.conf.au 2004		The Australian Linux Technical Conference
http://lca2004.linux.org.au/	12-17 January 2004, Adelaide, South Australia

Are you a computer angel?	http://www.computerangels.org.au/