[plug] dlink dsl-300

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Dec 4 13:35:26 WST 2003

I have new 300 and it seems quite good:

1. Its internal "webserver" address is always 192.168.0.1
2. its dhcp issues 192.168.0.2 when it is itself not allocated an address
from iinets network
3. Once it gets an address, a short time later (but there is a time gap)
it reissues a routable IP from iinets group
4. It is designed for a single PC only, so I suspect it wont work properly
as a router (as mentioned in iinets docs) - that is what the dsl-500 is
for.
5. so use a gateway PC with iptables masq/firewall to route so there is
only one link to the 300 and its all fine - you should be firewalling
anyway, even with one PC as the 300 is NOT a firewall.

I do find that iinet give it a new IP every day or so which is frustrating
for external access.

Billk