[plug] msec and file permissions

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Dec 4 20:25:07 WST 2003

I've no idea about msec, but .....

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 08:08:40PM +0800, Ben New wrote:

| The main problem is that users login under their own personal group
| (e.g. I login with user=ben, group=ben), but I want the files to be
| owned (and read/writeable) by "real" groups - i.e. groups that have more
| than 1 user in them.  Users are adding files to a shared directory and
| then those files aren't useable by anyone else.

Mark those directories as setgid (e.g. 2775) and then the files created
under them will inherit the directory's group.  If you want to force the
files to be group-writable too, you have a few options:

	- set the users' umask to 002, pray that nothing fouls up
	- use ACLs (which requires a kernel patch on stock 2.4 kernels
	  and newer utilities than included in Debian stable; no idea
	  about Mandrake)
	- mount the directory over smbfs, with samba's "force group"
	  option
	- run chmod -R from cron periodically (the equivalent of what
	  you're doing with msec, only without msec being involved)

See also the (short) Plug thread from not long ago, beginning:
	http://www.cantech.net.au/plug/2003-11/msg00863.html

Cheers,

Cameron.