[plug] [OT] new WN adsl plans

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Tue Dec 9 23:14:26 WST 2003

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 22:17, you wrote:
> what about Sat ???
> http://www.westnet.com.au/products/broadband/satellite/
>
> Pretty cheap.. and Damned quick... a mate of mine had it.. he could get 12
> download sessions going at once all at 30kbps.. better than DSL... (just no
> good for games :-P )
>
> Senectus

I've looked at that. I'm right now in the middle of an upgrade to one-way
satellite for the Nannup Telecentre, just got the drivers to work under
Debian for a (Westnet supplied) Pentavalue PCI satellite decoder card but not
got the settings quite right yet to get data out of it.

I consider it is quite expensive when you add the satellite download account
to the dialup account for the back channel, static IP address, dish and
installation, and the smallish download limit + 11c/Mb ($70 per CD!). I don't
think waix applies for satellite downloads either, but I will have to check
on that.

At the moment I have compromised on the side of reliability and capped call
costs by going with ISDN and Telstra's 'ISDN Internet Plan' for data access.
So far it has been absolutely bulletproof, without a single glitch (hardware
wise) logged in the 6 months since I had it installed. Westnet only allows me
to use 64k of the available 128k ISDN capacity unless I buy a second account,
hopefully they will upgrade the basic plan to 128k sometime soon...

One powerball... and I'll have two-way satellite!

Steve