[plug] apache readiness

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Wed Dec 10 15:53:36 WST 2003

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 03:45:32PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
> BTW there are the 'testing' and 'unstable' releases which often have
> decent versions (but not if the dependencies of a package are
> particulary hairy or if a specific package is not being maintained). You
> can also install Debian-patched source (add deb-src lines to your APT
> sources.list, as described on this list a few days ago). The PostgreSQL
> example might be good, though, because Debian might not have that, yet.
> One thing to note, though, is that the maintainer might already be
> working on 7.4 for Debian.

And then there's experimental - contains really really bleeding edge
packages that for various reasons aren't in unstable or testing yet.
Postgresql 7.4 is there. XFree86 4.3 is too. Hasn't broken anything
for me yet *touch wood* :)

> > The other thing is data migration.   For example when upgrading PostgreSQL
> > across versions you need to pg_dump or pg_dumpall to save your data in a
> > "portable" format and then restore from the dumps when the new version is
> > present.   Not sure if the apt-get process handles that.   Anyone know?
>
> Just as a general point of interest: it is typical that Debian packages
> would attempt to take care of data migration automatically, or at least
> point out what you need to do.

Debian's Postgresql packages try to do a pretty good job of this.
I'm pretty sure I've upgraded from 7.1 -> 7.2 -> 7.3 without a
hitch so far. Then again, I don't stress my databases particularly
much. But always keep a backup :)

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham dot com dot au>