[plug] apache readiness

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Wed Dec 10 16:09:47 WST 2003

At 15:40 10/12/2003 +0800, Leon Blackwell wrote:
>On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 03:35:44PM +0800, Denis Brown wrote:
> > The other thing is data migration.   For example when upgrading PostgreSQL
> > across versions you need to pg_dump or pg_dumpall to save your data in a
> > "portable" format and then restore from the dumps when the new version is
> > present.   Not sure if the apt-get process handles that.   Anyone know?
>
>Older (pre-woody) version could be a little flaky and required the
>occasional bit of help, but I haven't had any troubles using automatic
>migration.  If you're really worried about your data, I'm sure you've
>got an offsite backup, anyway (right?  :)

Actually, yes :-)   Which raises an interesting question regards
PostgreSQL...  If I make a backup of the file set, etc for version X of
pgsql and archive the tape, after so many months / years / whatever I
decide that a database that was on one of the tapes needs to be
restored.   But I've moved on to version Y by now so the file set per se is
not useful :-(   I suppose the wise sysadmin would keep pg_dumpall's of
pgsql data, right?   Must admit to not having thought about this issue of
version creep before.   Hmmm...

Cheers,
Denis