[plug] reply apache hyper

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Dec 11 09:45:31 WST 2003

At 09:03 11/12/2003 +0800, smclevie wrote:
>Hi guys,
>
>Thanks for the replies... much appreciated.
>
>I've possibly not got the ACPI enumeration bit going so I'll go back and
>look, otherwise I may be close.
>
>With regards Apache (which leads to postgres) I have apt-get installed
>most things already.  In fact, I have almost
>exclusively used this as a method of installing now that I am able to
>connect to UWA.

As others have mentioned, a good way to go.

>   To help me in my learning
>I have purchased several books on various topics.  These books encourage
>you to install from source and select
>various configuration options from the start.

Ahhh... You might want to stay with the 7.3 series of PostgreSQL if you're
installing from source.   At least for a little while.   I just got bitten
by an apparent bug in the testing phase of 7.4 so that
./configure --blah, blah, blah is fine
make        is also fine but
make check     has issues with database initialisation and a few people
have reported this to the pgsql developers.

HTH,
Denis