[plug] strangely crashing PPro [long]

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Thu Dec 11 12:52:39 WST 2003

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 11:45:41AM +0800, Richard Meyer wrote:
> I have read that most memtest programs don't strain the memory as much as
> doing real work does.

I can't speak for "most", but memtest86 has detected at least three dud
RAM SIMMs/DIMMs for me -- two of which passed all other (BIOS, etc)
tests.  It also has the benefit of running in an OS-free environment, so
things such as swap and multiple processes don't affect results.

Next to PSU issues, memory failures have been my second most common
cause of hardware "misbehaviour".

--
 Leon Blackwell                | There are only two kinds of
 http://www.lostrealm.com/     | programming languages: those people