[plug] install old GUI

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Sun Dec 14 05:21:58 WST 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 17:52, smclevie wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I was running a Woody for a couple of minutes ... then I did an apt-get
> upgrade.  So now I am running a testing/unstable combo.
>
> Whilst online, I ran tasksel and selected to install a 'Desktop
> environment' and 'X window system'.
>
> The result is a broken gui.  From memory I think there are several packages
> needed but not included at 'testing/'unstable' level.

I have installed Debian on more machines than I can remember. Broken gui
is something I often come across. From memory, my fix involves running
the xf86config tool.

I'll also note that I've stopped using tasksel a while ago. These days I
finish the install as soon as I can, and only install packages I need.

Dunno if this helps you, but it might...

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S34°43'17" - E150°34'56" (Kangaroo Valley, NSW)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..