[plug] install old GUI

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sun Dec 14 19:12:32 WST 2003

Hi,

In message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0312141907570.1301-100000 at BBRH73.busby.net>
on Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 07:11:19PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> We have tried running xf86config, repeatedly, still can't get woody to
> run gui.

I've found that getting down to work with XFree86 on any platform (Linux
or otherwise, i386 or otherwise) is tortuous. XFree86 is the GIMP of
display systems ;-P But back to solving your problem...the issue is
really going to be very dependent on your particular hardware and any
particular error messages that are being generated on your machine. I
find that if you're solved XFree86 problems before, you can probably
solve them again, but doing it for the first time is completely
bewildering. One thing to watch out for is something simple: maybe
XFree86 hasn't been configured to try resolutions that are compatible
with your monitor / video card. Maybe it would be useful to post your
/etc/X11/XF86Config (or whatever the file is)?

> Does woody run GUI?

Er...yes.