[plug] install old GUI

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun Dec 14 19:22:18 WST 2003

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 07:12:32PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:

| I've found that getting down to work with XFree86 on any platform (Linux
| or otherwise, i386 or otherwise) is tortuous. XFree86 is the GIMP of
| display systems

Yeah, 'tis wonderful, isn't it? :-)

More seriously, the GIMP is quite nice for what I use it for (if only it
didn't insist on using so many sodding windows for everything), but I'm
not so fond of XFree.  It works, though, if you have low expectations
;-)

| I find that if you're solved XFree86 problems before

... then you copy that XF86Config-4 file around to the new machine, and
hack it 'til it works there, too :-)

("I've fixed your post for you", as you're so fond of saying...)

| Maybe it would be useful to post your /etc/X11/XF86Config (or whatever
| the file is)?

In Debian, it's /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 for XFree86 4.x servers, or
/etc/X11/XF86Config for XFree86 3.x servers.  The latter are even less
desirable than XFree86 4.x on most machines.

Cheers,

Cameron.