[plug] Random troubleshooting (half upgraded knoppix).

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Mon Dec 15 11:31:24 WST 2003

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 04:14:53AM +0800, Pabs wrote:

| Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
| ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
| PCI_IDE: unknown IDE controller on PCI bus 00 device 48, VID=10de, DID=01bc
| PCI_IDE: chipset revision 195
| PCI_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
|     ide0: BM-DMA at 0xb800-0xb807, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
|     ide1: BM-DMA at 0xb808-0xb80f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:DMA
| ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
| ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15

That, to me, looks like you've got DMA on in the BIOS, but the kernel
doesn't recognise it.  That precise message looks remarkably familiar,
in fact.  *greps /usr/share/discover for those PCI IDs*  Ahh, NVidia
NForce.  Here's output from /var/log/dmesg on a machine with one of
those with working DMA:

NFORCE: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:09.0
NFORCE: chipset revision 195
NFORCE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
AMD_IDE: Bios didn't set cable bits corectly. Enabling workaround.
AMD_IDE: Bios didn't set cable bits corectly. Enabling workaround.
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
AMD_IDE: nVidia Corporation nForce IDE (rev c3) UDMA100 controller on pci00:09.0
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xa800-0xa807, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xa808-0xa80f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
hda: ST340014A, ATA DISK drive
blk: queue c02cdc80, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
hdc: ST380011A, ATA DISK drive
blk: queue c02ce0d4, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15

And the appropriate lines in the kernel config file:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_AMD74XX=y

The last one (AMD74xx) is the one that you most likely don't have
enabled.  (Another possibility is that you have a kernel too old to
support that driver; 2.4.21 definitely works)

| hmm:

I suspect that this is a side-effect of upgrading your init scripts from
Knoppix's version.  Knoppix uses all sorts of quirky init scripts of its
own, and presumably that means that some of the Debian ones don't exist
there.  Debian normally treats a config file not being present upon
upgrade as an "ooh, the admin deleted it, I'm not going to try to put it
back" situation.

| > It was released two weeks ago ... in some parallel universe where aj's
| > pronouncements bear some correlation with reality :-(  In the mean time
| > there are release critical bugs breeding and multiplying, a
| > debian-installer which sort-of half works on i386 and powerpc only,
| > antique versions of lots of software (being held up by bugs in
| > everything else)... *sigh*
|
| Well the compromise kinda put a damper on things. Reading the bits from
| the rm (pointed to off debianplanet) it seems the old apathy bug is
| hitting debian a little. /me rounds up some cheerleaders to send to dds.
| perhaps that will motiveate them a little.

Yeah, but even before the compromise they weren't exactly on track for a
release at the start of December.  But you're right, I'm sure
cheerleaders would help them along a bit :-)

Regards,

Cameron.