[plug] Random troubleshooting (half upgraded knoppix).

Pabs pabs at perthimc.asn.au
Mon Dec 15 11:40:59 WST 2003

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Cameron Patrick wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 04:14:53AM +0800, Pabs wrote:
>
> | Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
> | ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
> | PCI_IDE: unknown IDE controller on PCI bus 00 device 48, VID=10de, DID=01bc
> | PCI_IDE: chipset revision 195
> | PCI_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> |     ide0: BM-DMA at 0xb800-0xb807, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
> |     ide1: BM-DMA at 0xb808-0xb80f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:DMA
> | ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> | ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
>
> <snippety snip>
>
> And the appropriate lines in the kernel config file:
>
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
> CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_AMD74XX=y
>
> The last one (AMD74xx) is the one that you most likely don't have
> enabled.  (Another possibility is that you have a kernel too old to
> support that driver; 2.4.21 definitely works)

I'll keep that in mind when I compile a new kernel, thanks for the help.

> | hmm:
>
> I suspect that this is a side-effect of upgrading your init scripts from
> Knoppix's version.  Knoppix uses all sorts of quirky init scripts of its
> own, and presumably that means that some of the Debian ones don't exist
> there.  Debian normally treats a config file not being present upon
> upgrade as an "ooh, the admin deleted it, I'm not going to try to put it
> back" situation.

Yeah, as nice as knoppix is for running off a cd, they should never have
included that knx-hdinstall script. Well, sarge should obsolete it when it
comes out in 2005 ;)

> | > It was released two weeks ago ... in some parallel universe where aj's
> | > pronouncements bear some correlation with reality :-(  In the mean time
> | > there are release critical bugs breeding and multiplying, a
> | > debian-installer which sort-of half works on i386 and powerpc only,
> | > antique versions of lots of software (being held up by bugs in
> | > everything else)... *sigh*
> |
> | Well the compromise kinda put a damper on things. Reading the bits from
> | the rm (pointed to off debianplanet) it seems the old apathy bug is
> | hitting debian a little. /me rounds up some cheerleaders to send to dds.
> | perhaps that will motiveate them a little.
>
> Yeah, but even before the compromise they weren't exactly on track for a
> release at the start of December.  But you're right, I'm sure
> cheerleaders would help them along a bit :-)

on second thawt pehaps that would distract them too much, maybe send em an
email promising cheerleaders if they finish by july? :)

Bye,
Pabs