[plug] GTK-1.2.0 or newer

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Mon Dec 15 18:31:19 WST 2003

Hi,

In message <20031215180556.3c59dfdd.vautin at aijv.com.au>
on Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 06:05:56PM +0800, laurie anderson wrote:
>   Thanks,
>   What I fail to understand is this  did a 'find / -name '*libgtk1.2*' got a heap

For Debain, try also one of the following commands:

    dpkg -l libgtk1.2-dev
    dpkg -S libgtk1.2-dev

The first command will inform you about the installation status of the
libgtk1.2-dev package. This gives us a hint as to whether the libgtk1.2
files are installed, or whether they are sitting around waiting to be
put in the right place. The second command searches for paths that are
installed with the name libgtk1.2-dev. This second command is not
necessary, but I included it for interest. Of more relevance to your
current situation might be this command:

    dpkg -L libgtk1.2-dev | grep gtk.h

For me, it produces the following output:

    /usr/include/gtk-1.2/gtk/gtk.h
    /usr/include/gtk-1.2/gtk/gtkcheckbutton.h
    /usr/include/gtk-1.2/gtk/gtkcheckmenuitem.h
    /usr/include/gtk-1.2/gtk/gtkthemes.h

(I chose the name 'gtk.h' because I already know it is one of the
important files that is needed to compile GTK 1.2 software.) The above
information will help us sorting out your xsane problem, as we may have
to give xsane some help during compilation.

Now...onto the problem. If I understand correctly, the error message is:

    ERROR; GTK-1.2.0 or newer is needed for compiling xsane if you
    installed gtk as rpm make sure you also include gtk-devel

What this means is that xsane has attempted to detect the availability
of GTK 1.2 with your compiler (e.g. gcc). The detection has failed, and
the error message has been printed. However, the message is just a
generic attempt at explaining the situation. It doesn't completely
explain *why* the detection failed. It is quite possible for GTK to be
installed *and* for the error message to be displayed. Therefore,
further diagnosis is required. You should find a file called
'config.log' in the xsane directory after the error message has been
printed. The contents of the log file can be interpreted to aid the
diagnosis of the problem. It's likely that it is less than 50kb in size,
so perhaps you could/should post it to the list for us to look at. Are
you compiling xsane from a 'tarball' you got from a website, or are you
compiling it from a Debian source package?