[plug] P4 1.4

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Tue Dec 16 16:12:26 WST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 14:28, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 09:43:31AM +0800, Ben Jensz wrote:
> > Adam Hewitt wrote:
> > >I would agree, except that the cooling issues are purely caused
> > >by an insufficient fan and heatsink. Get a decent fan and
> > >heatsink and your problems are solvered.
>
> > And then a cheap CPU ends up being a more expensive CPU.  Thats
> > the biggest problem I have with recommending AMDs at the moment.
> > The CPU is generally cheaper to buy than a P4, but then you have
> > to take into account adding decent cooling on top of that.
>
> > AMD should ship all of their CPUs with heatsinks and fans that are
> > good enough to cool the CPUs.  Intel do with their P4s.
>
> All Athlon and higher AMD's come with heatsink and fan.
> If the case has enough flow-through cooling to keep a fast hard
> drive happy, then it'll keep enough cool air around the CPU fan as
> well.
>
> Maybe you should have plugged in the fan. :-)
>
> I've only once had a problem with an AMD "failing"; that was a Duron
> where the fan (third party) stopped and the processor "cooked".
> After serious testing using a new heatsink and fan (as well as fresh
> goop), the Duron showed no signs of permanent damage.
>
> I've had an EPIA-M with 933MHz CPU stall on me because the CPU fan
> blades had been stopped by some cables... it slowed to a crawl
> first. No problem at all once effective cooling was restored.\

Generally a CPU will run at 55-80 degrees but will give serious errors
85-90 degrees is where it starts to fry.

The cooler the better: add 60 or 80cm casefans and PCI slot fans if need
be. Sometimes you even need to use round ide cables to improve case
ventilation. Blowing off all the dust from the system and inside the
power supply is also a good idea.

These measures can drop CPU temp dramatically. Sometimes just adding a
few fans can give you a drop in 15-20 degrees other times the difference
seems minimal.

An incorrectly placed CPU fan/heat sink will also cause excessive heat.

Also check CPU voltage to ensure it is according to specification.

regards,

Chris