[plug] P4 1.4

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Tue Dec 16 14:28:50 WST 2003

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 09:43:31AM +0800, Ben Jensz wrote:
> Adam Hewitt wrote:
> >I would agree, except that the cooling issues are purely caused
> >by an insufficient fan and heatsink. Get a decent fan and
> >heatsink and your problems are solvered.

> And then a cheap CPU ends up being a more expensive CPU.  Thats
> the biggest problem I have with recommending AMDs at the moment.
> The CPU is generally cheaper to buy than a P4, but then you have
> to take into account adding decent cooling on top of that.

> AMD should ship all of their CPUs with heatsinks and fans that are
> good enough to cool the CPUs.  Intel do with their P4s.

All Athlon and higher AMD's come with heatsink and fan.
If the case has enough flow-through cooling to keep a fast hard
drive happy, then it'll keep enough cool air around the CPU fan as
well.

Maybe you should have plugged in the fan. :-)

I've only once had a problem with an AMD "failing"; that was a Duron
where the fan (third party) stopped and the processor "cooked".
After serious testing using a new heatsink and fan (as well as fresh
goop), the Duron showed no signs of permanent damage.

I've had an EPIA-M with 933MHz CPU stall on me because the CPU fan
blades had been stopped by some cables... it slowed to a crawl
first. No problem at all once effective cooling was restored.