[plug] Hot and bothered CPU hankers for cool breeze

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 16 20:40:54 WST 2003

> > > But then, an IBM x-series server has noise levels around 56dBA at
> > > one metre when its fans kick into high speed. Certainly works well
> > > to mask the complaint that might otherwise be heard from lusers. :-)
> >
> > I used to work at an IBM lab where we had about 400 of those
> > babies in one room. Every single one was running Linux too!
>
> I hope you were wearing HEARING PROTECTION! :-)

D'you know, I never really thought about it, but now that I do, it wasn't that
noisy. I mean there was a constant drone, and the people who originally had
their desks in the same room were all moved out as the number of boxes grew,
but I'd work in there for hours at a time with no ill effects. In fact, you
could to talk to someone with a normal conversation voice, without yelling or
anything.

I'm intrigued! Why do 400 boxes not sound 400 times louder than 1 box?

--
> eatapple
core dump