Web admin PLUG SITE Was: Re: [plug] PLUG Talks Coordinator Role]

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Tue Dec 16 22:06:03 WST 2003

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 12:02:55AM +1100, Kimberly Shelt wrote:

| Oki.. I have  couple of emails now from folks who want to
| A) assist
| B) do all the work :):)
|
| regards the PLUG site..

I was really angling more at (A) rather than (B), at least for the
moment.  Maybe I'll step up to do (B) after a bit, if I feel comfortable
with the idea.

| I am in Kalg.. my home hunt is over..my goods arrive tomorrow..
| I will be unpacking for a few days..
|
| If you can hold on til next week then I will be back and answer
| all issues.. and give access rights to those you want themm

No worries :-)  I'm not really in a hurry.  Get your self settled in
before doing anything on my account!

| NB:: I think itis a bad idea to have many people admin rights to
| do anything.. the rights system on the site has an ability to
| give people rights to do specific things..
|
| This I can set up per person, based on what they want to do..

That's perhaps more like what I was asking for then.

| > This reminds me - I've offered to help out with the web site a couple of
| > times, but have yet to take the time to hassle Tony or Kim or whoever I
| > need to hassle in order to get some kind of write access to the PLUG web
|
| What you are asking for here is access the site as the "admin".
| id you can delete the entire db etc.. if that is what you want..and the
| committee is happy to hand over the shell access of the web slave account
| thats fine :)..but I will have to leave it all to you then :)..
| Of course I am always available to assist..
| Perhaps it is time for some new blood anyway..

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what I'm asking for :-) as I've
really got no idea how PostNuke works.  (As someone who's seen a number
of sites using PN but never used it myself, it seems a bit chaotic and
poorly put together - but that's probably due to the amount of effort
put into administration.  The linmagau site, for instance, seems less
dodgy than the PLUG one in that regard.)  What I was referring to was
the ability to edit the text of pages on the site, not necessarily being
the sole admin of the site; I was assuming that such a configuration was
possible.

| I have been a lot too busy with the mag, to give the PLUG site more
| effort.. although I have tried.. :(

You've done a good job with the mag :-) and the PLUG web site doesn't
seem any less active that it did a year ago.

| Errm.. you said you where too busy now..and would be back after xmas
| if I remember rightly ???a I could be wrong but I thought your last
| mail said you were off on holidays but would get back later ?..

Dunno, that wasn't me (I think) - certainly I don't remember saying
anything along those lines and the above doesn't accurately describe my
situation at the moment.

| > Anyway:  any chance of someone setting up whatever needs to be done such
| > that I can edit the PLUG web site?
|
| See above.. if you want the webmaster job..thats ok with me :)
| I have no problems handing it over now :).. see Matt for passwds etc..

I'd have to think about that one, as I said.  I wasn't trying to usurp
the position and am a bit afraid of biting off more than I can chew.

| If you are happy to wait a week or so.. I can set up limited admin
| access on the site, via the web for you to do the changes you are suggesting
| above..

Sounds good. :-)

Cheers,

Cameron.