Web admin PLUG SITE Was: Re: [plug] PLUG Talks Coordinator Role]

Kimberly Shelt kim at linmagau.org
Tue Dec 16 22:56:33 WST 2003

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 10:06:03PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> I was really angling more at (A) rather than (B), at least for the
> moment.  Maybe I'll step up to do (B) after a bit, if I feel comfortable
> with the idea.

heheh :)

It is not that hard.. the basic thing !I think" that should happen more
is posts to the site about the various links we do in the list :)o
This is what Colin used to do..and he was way more active than me in this :)

> No worries :-)  I'm not really in a hurry.  Get your self settled in
> before doing anything on my account!

Removalists arrive tomorrow.. I try to unpack for a few days..
hopefully all will be settled by next week .. :)

Of course I do have a usable phone line and my knoppix lappy
which "can" dialup :).. so I will be around :)

> That's perhaps more like what I was asking for then.

Oki.. this is good.. the post nuke site is much like "NT"
/me ducks.. in its admin rights setup.. people can be
allocated lots of different levels of access..
Like Jacqueline for the calendar etc...

> To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what I'm asking for :-) as I've
> really got no idea how PostNuke works.  (As someone who's seen a number
> of sites using PN but never used it myself, it seems a bit chaotic and
> poorly put together - but that's probably due to the amount of effort
> put into administration.  The linmagau site, for instance, seems less
> dodgy than the PLUG one in that regard.)  What I was referring to was
> the ability to edit the text of pages on the site, not necessarily being
> the sole admin of the site; I was assuming that such a configuration was
> possible.

Actually both are runnign the exact same version.. just different themes
(lets not go there.. itis a permissions issue I think :).. I will look
at it :)

but the point is.. that with the LinMagAu site.. I do it all too...
you write me mail and bellow.. I fix things.. for the plug site
I havent really seen a lot of "its broken" :)
else I would have fixed them too :)

> You've done a good job with the mag :-) and the PLUG web site doesn't
> seem any less active that it did a year ago.

Bah.-.Colin did daily updates from many sites.. sometimes as many as
5 a day... I was under the impression when I took the job on...
that at least a few others already had their hand up to do this..
so I did the db wrangle to update the code to the right space.. and
waited.. when nothing came in..I started doing some updates myself..
asking on the list for more input.. /me sighs.. we are all busy..
very little came :(

> Dunno, that wasn't me (I think) - certainly I don't remember saying
> anything along those lines and the above doesn't accurately describe my
> situation at the moment.

Arghh.then who ever you are.. stick your 2cents in now :)

> I'd have to think about that one, as I said.  I wasn't trying to usurp
> the position and am a bit afraid of biting off more than I can chew.

Bah tis easy.. and as I said.. Iam here to help.. it is really not that hard..
the web interface is a breeze.. the shell access you should already know :)

Grab a copy of the code.. set it up on on a random box and play..
that is precisely what I did 12months ago.. to start the mag..and do the
plug site.. at that time.. I hadn't even heard about PN :)

> Sounds good. :-)

Oki.. send me (privately :)

a) bug reports on where the issues are :)
We can fix them together..

b) what you are wanting to do :)

I will sort out the access to do them.

c) any random spam.. I am just happy for it :)

I lied about this :)

Kim