plug at plug admin role [was: Re: [plug] PLUG Talks Coordinator Role]

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Dec 17 07:42:01 WST 2003

In message <3FDF2D9D.6010503 at postnewspapers.com.au>
on Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 12:06:53AM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> >Random pointless stats - in the last year (using "l ~d <1y" in mutt), I
> >count 909 from craig at post, 808 from devenish at guild, 715 from
> >leon at brooks, and a mere 560 from the distant fourth: cameron at patrick.
> >(Apologies if I have left out anyone else with >500 posts this year.)
>
> OMFG. That's rather frightening.

Hmmm...so out of the 2530 e-mails I sent from this address this year,
32% were to PLUG.

> Woohoo. I'm used to seeing that - my postmaster mailbox for work
> (ignored for the last few days because I haven't been able to face
> it) just topped 1000 messages :-(

You must have very grateful users, if you are trapping that much e-mail
in the postmaster mailbox :)

> Is there any way to export the 'held for approval' mailbox as, say, an
> IMAP mailbox so it can be managed a bit more easily?

I might have mentioned it earlier, but Mailman can be set to mail
approval requests to you, and you can kill the posts by replying to the
approval request (i.e. it's a feature, stated like this: "If you reply
to this message, keeping the Subject: header intact, Mailman will
discard the held message.  Do this if the message is spam. If you reply
to this message and include an Approved: header with the list password
in it, the message will be approved for posting to the list. ").

> I'd like to think I'm answering questions at least as often as asking
> them, personally.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the vast majority of my messages are in response
to other people's inquiries and provocation :)

> As for free time ... I do seem to find a fair bit in short snippets
> between "my email isn't working" (read: nobody's emailed me today)
> questions. Much of which I should be using for other things, like work
> and stuff for CA.

When I was spending 12h in the lab each day, I'm use my 30min breaks
for ablutions and PLUG. And 45min breaks? Aha! Food and user support.