[plug] Determining ip address

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Wed Dec 17 13:53:07 WST 2003

G'day all,

I'm behind a Lucent Cellpipe 20A pppoa gateway up here, I need an easy,
scriptable way to determine my external ip address (It changes at random
intervals from 2 hours to 48 hours).

I'm obviously suffering from brainfade, but there must be an easy way to
do this and google is not helping me at the moment.

I can bounce a http request of a website that is designed to give you
your ip address, but there must be a better way.

I thought perhaps traceroute might help me, but it only gives me the
internal address of the router 192.168.254.1 :p(

Someone please hit me with a clue stick ?

The other thing I'd like to look at is taking this thing out of pppoa
nat mode and handling the ppp on the linux gateway. I'm not that
familiar with this device, I believe it can bridge.. I just have not had
the time to look at handling the ppp on the PC.

I would guess the Lucent would bridge atm to ethernet and I would need
to do pppoe on the PC, but I'm just pulling thoughts out of the air here.

Anyway, for now just determining my IP so I can post it to a website
(DIY dynamic redirection) would be nice.

Brad