[plug] USB & kernel questions

laurie anderson vautin at aijv.com.au
Wed Dec 17 16:52:20 WST 2003

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:11:28 +0800
James Devenish <devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In message <20031217160055.090bad7c.vautin at aijv.com.au>
> on Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 04:00:55PM +0800, laurie anderson wrote:
> >   Not having used a USB port before, what is needed in getting the USB subsystem
> >   up and running.
>
> I've not used USB before, but I am currently sitting at a machine with
> USB ports. And I think the kernel already knows about the ports (if I
> run `dmesg | less` and search for 'usb', I see various messages of
> acknowledgment). What sort of devices would you like to connect? I
> presume you want to get your scanner working :-) Did you end up with
> the sane-find-scanner programme on your system?
>
> BTW for 'mass storage' devices (e.g. memory key / flash disk), someone
> mentioned that you can do mount /dev/sda1 (might not be sda1 if you have
> real SCSI devices).

  James,
  Did a dmesg | less had a good look but find no references to USB.
  the last message from dmesg was

   [drm:drm_init] *ERROR* Cannot initialize the agpgart module

  don't ask me what it is as I know not.

  Yes I will be attaching the scanner to USB as it is a USB device.
  Yes I did end up with sane-find-scanner but it also finds nothing

  Thanks

  Laurie