[plug] Determining ip address

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Dec 17 17:13:10 WST 2003

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 02:11:20PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
| >I thought perhaps traceroute might help me, but it only gives me the
| >internal address of the router 192.168.254.1 :p(
|
| SNMP?
|
| snmpwalk -v 1 -c public 192.168.254.1
|
| and see what you get.

Oooh, I just tried that on the cruddy D-Link ADSL modem at home and it
spat pages on end of stuff at me.  Having never used SNMP before, it
surprised me that it was (a) supported and (b) less of a black art
involving dribbly candles than I had previously expected...  You learn
something new every day, as they say.  I have no idea what most of the
fields it dumped at me meant, but the disturbing bit is that it seems as
though the password it uses to log in to the ISP is stored in cleartext
and can be retrieved via SNMP with no autentication whatsoever.  Ack!

(Although thinking about it, that's probably the case via the web
interface too...)

Cameron.