[plug] USB & kernel questions

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Wed Dec 17 17:58:56 WST 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 17:18, James Devenish wrote:
> > One thing that you may have issues with in the particular case of
> > scanners and cameras is device "file" permissions and usbdevfs.
> > Currently I'm running my script to download photos from my USB camera as
> > root, but there must be a better way somewhere!
>
> What do people do, with Linux, for similar problems such as CD/DVD
> access, audio access, etc? All I've been able to suggest to people
> with stock kernels is to use filesystem groups or sudo, depending.

I use gtkam for my camera and used to use jphoto (CLI).  I don't know
much about it, all I know is I included various USB relevancies in my
kernel and did nothing else.

When I plug it in I get the following, and whatever programs want to
play with it can do so as a normal user:

hub.c: new USB device 00:10.0-1, assigned address 7
usb.c: USB device 7 (vend/prod 0x40a/0x510) is not claimed by any active
driver.
usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:10.0-1 address 7

What I DO know is that it uses 'PTP' (Picture Transfer Protocol) and
this side-steps the USB mass-storage drivers, or something to that
effect.  http://ptp.sourceforge.net/

I can also mount it as mass storage, then I presume some of the
permissions problems start - but certainly not for simply reading it.

Luck or design? :)

Ryan