[plug] USB & kernel questions

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Dec 18 01:43:40 WST 2003

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 04:27:07AM +1100, Onno Benschop wrote:
| On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 20:13, Cameron Patrick wrote:
| > One thing that you may have issues with in the particular case of
| > scanners and cameras is device "file" permissions and usbdevfs.
| > Currently I'm running my script to download photos from my USB camera as
| > root, but there must be a better way somewhere!
|
| There is!
|
| I made a comment about my camera in the linmagau article about my dish.
| A slashdot reader saw that and provided the solution. Here is their
| comment:
|
| <http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=80482&threshold=0&commentsort=3&tid=193&mode=thread&pid=7092943#7094134>

Thank you very much, I may give that a shot! :-)  It's unlikely to make
a real difference most of the time since getting photos off the camera
is just a matter of plugging it in and waiting for an xmessage to tell
me that the photos are uploaded, but I'll have a warm fuzzy feeling
inside knowing that gphoto isn't running as root ;-)

Cameron.