[plug] Enabling AGP

bob bob at fots.org.au
Fri Dec 19 09:29:17 WST 2003

So... Santa has arrived a little early here and I am left with a nice shiny
new ATI Radeon. I've been able to bluff my way past the problems of getting
the card to work in 2D but I'm obviously not "getting it" with the 3D - I
am in good company here as there seems to be lots of posts to blogs and
lists asking about this sort of problem... without answers that work for
me.

XFree86.0.log

(EE) fglrx(0): [agp] unable to acquire AGP, error "xf86_EINVAL"
(EE) fglrx(0): cannot init AGP
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] removed 1 reserved context for kernel
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] unmapping 8192 bytes of SAREA 0xe0e18000 at 0x40025000
(WW) fglrx(0): ***********************************************
(WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed!                  *
(WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or bad) *
(WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton available (MMIO)             *
(WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D acceleration available                *
(WW) fglrx(0): ********************************************* *

(The driver is supposed to have its own  built in agpgart module - the rest
of the driver works so can I assume this is ok and its a config issue?)

I've checked the bios - seems ok.
I've recompiled the drivers -seems ok
I've tweaked XF86Config -seems ok,

Pointers on where to go from here appreciated. Thanks.

(Of course I can always pick another driver and start all over again... )

(nb: this is my first AGP card- the previous was a plain PCI so I have no
prior experience with these)

--
"An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of code."
-- an anonymous programmer