[plug] Whats a good xml editor for linux?

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 19 09:54:10 WST 2003

On Thursday 18 December 2003 20:42, William Kenworthy wrote:
> Whats a good xml editor for linux?

As you've probably gathered from the responses you've had so far, there isn't
one. I thought Quanta offered XML support of some sort, but the fact they
don't flag it as a feature from their website perhaps tells you something in
itself. Most programmable text editors offer some sort of XML support, but I
don't think any of them could be described as "good". I would consider "good"
to be in the league of XMLSpy on that other platform, and there certainly
isn't anything like that under Linux that I know of. And XMLSpy doesn't work
under Crossover Office, so that's not an option.

I find this very strange. XML is open, modern and very useful technology, and
the back end is well supported with expat, libxml2 and the like. For some
reason the OSS community doesn't seem too interested in writing an editor
capable of dealing with XML files nicely. Maybe it's an extension of the
"it's only text so use vi or emacs" mentality which often makes specific text
handling tools hard to come by?

--
> eatapple
core dump