[plug] Whats a good xml editor for linux?

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Fri Dec 19 10:08:30 WST 2003

In message <200312190954.10817.derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk>
on Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 09:54:10AM +0800, Derek Fountain wrote:
> writing an editor capable of dealing with XML files nicely. Maybe it's
> an extension of the "it's only text so use vi or emacs" mentality
> which often makes specific text handling tools hard to come by?

Well, why would it be natural to build a *new* editor for one type of
file when people are quite entrenched in their existing, pluripotent
choices (e.g. vim, emacs...nedit?)? Even for Java IDEs, as an example of
divergent editing environments, it would be typical to find integrated
XML editing instead of requiring a separate editor. Some kinds of XML
files benefit from display modes that are not of a basic "flat file"
nature, but these can be provided by editors such as vim and emacs. So,
I suppose it's just not taken people's fancy? For example, I'm happy
with my existing support in vim. It would be true to say that there is
probably something more efficient that I could be doing, but it hasn't
occurred to me. www.altova.com and www.xmlspy.com seem to be
uncontactable at the moment.