[plug] Whats a good xml editor for linux?

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri Dec 19 12:32:09 WST 2003

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 11:59:14AM +0800, Derek Fountain wrote:
> > As opposed to nudging a mouse around a mat until the on-screen
> > pointer is aligned with the DTD item, clicking on the item, nudging
> > mouse again to click back to a text field so as to enter a value;
> > nudge mouse again to convert/validate data for entering the element?

> Of course not.

> > Sorry.  Saves _keystrokes_; probably not time.

> As you wish.

> But I'll tell you what - you start writing an OpenOffice document
> in it's native XML using vim, and I'll start writing one in
> XMLSpy. Let's see who finishes first.

You first need the DTD and be able to grok its structure.

I'll start writing the OpenOffice document in OpenOffice. :-)

Most of the XML documents I generate are generated by applications
for use by other application.  Just about the only time I need to
hack XML is when I'm doing development and the originating
application exists only on spec. but I need to test the output.

I can think of another use for XML hacking; to test the robustness
of applications in dealing with bad data that's "valid" according to
DTD, but still bad for the application...