[plug] Whats a good xml editor for linux?

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri Dec 19 12:39:32 WST 2003

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 11:56:23AM +0800, Derek Fountain wrote:
> > I don't quite understand this reasoning. For example, OpenOffice
> > documents and SVG files are, as I understand it, stored using
> > XML.  However, it would be crazy to write an OpenOffice
> > wordprocessor document using vim to write it in XML. Yet, the
> > question about "XML editors" implied to me the idea of actually
> > editing XML in its 'native' fashion.  In fact, you even
> > mentioned DTDs, and DTDs do not provide information about
> > semantics, which I imagine is something you are concerned with
> > when you are working with "a totally different kind of editing".
> > By that, I mean that if we are concerned with which elements are
> > allowed by DTDs, we are working with XML at a level that is
> > lower than, say, the OpenOffice wordprocessor.

> Actually, it seems you do understand the reasoning! Think of
> OpenOffice as an XML editor - that's exactly what it is.

No it isn't an XML editor.

Please show me where on http://www.openoffice.org it says that
OpenOffice (OO) is an XML editor. You can in fact use OO without
anything in XML.

You may be able to use OO as an XML editor, but that is not the
point of OO.

OO chooses to store its files in XML because that seems to be a
nice, portable, self-documenting format that's even humanly (maybe
not humanely) readable. i.e. it's _open_.