[plug] Enabling AGP

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Dec 19 18:37:30 WST 2003

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 09:29:17AM +0800, bob wrote:

| (EE) fglrx(0): [agp] unable to acquire AGP, error "xf86_EINVAL"
[...]
| Pointers on where to go from here appreciated. Thanks.

$ dmesg | grep -i agp

You need kernel support for AGP, too, and if as you say you haven't used
AGP before, your kernel might not have support for AGP built in.

If you see output like:
	Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
	agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 941M
	agpgart: unsupported bridge
	agpgart: no supported devices found.
Then you will likely have to look into a newer and/or specially patched
version of the kernel to get AGP support.

Saying what motherboard / chipset you have, and what kernel you're using
might also help someone figure out what's going on.  (Probably not me,
though - as you can see, I haven't got AGP working myself.  I think my
machine needs a newer kernel or something to get AGP going, but I can't
be bothered trying.)

Also, if you can't get AGP working, there may be an option to tell it
to not bother, and just use PCI.  The documentation for whatever driver
you're using may be of use here.

Cameron.