[plug] Enabling AGP

bob bob at fots.org.au
Fri Dec 19 19:35:19 WST 2003

On Friday 19 December 2003 18:37, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 09:29:17AM +0800, bob wrote:
> | (EE) fglrx(0): [agp] unable to acquire AGP, error "xf86_EINVAL"
>
> [...]
>
> | Pointers on where to go from here appreciated. Thanks.
>
> $ dmesg | grep -i agp
>
> You need kernel support for AGP, too, and if as you say you haven't used
> AGP before, your kernel might not have support for AGP built in.
>
> If you see output like:
> 	Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
> 	agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 941M
> 	agpgart: unsupported bridge
> 	agpgart: no supported devices found.
> Then you will likely have to look into a newer and/or specially patched
> version of the kernel to get AGP support.

I get

dmesg | grep -i agp
Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 439M
agpgart: Detected Via Apollo Pro KT133 chipset
agpgart: AGP aperture is 128M @ 0xe0000000
Fire GL built-in AGP-support
Based on agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 439M
agpgart: Detected Via Apollo KT133/KM133 chipset
agpgart: AGP aperture is 128M @ 0xe0000000
Power management callback for AGP chipset installed
[fglrx] AGP detected, AgpState   = 0x1f000217 (hardware caps of chipset)

I assume the part after Fire GL is the inbuilt agpgart I was speaking about.

Hmm... I wonder if there is some conflict between the 2 mods? Maybe I should
remove agpgart?  I will try that after I post this.

> Saying what motherboard / chipset you have, and what kernel you're using
> might also help someone figure out what's going on.  (Probably not me,
> though - as you can see, I haven't got AGP working myself.  I think my
> machine needs a newer kernel or something to get AGP going, but I can't
> be bothered trying.)

Sorry, yes should have said
MB = AOpen AK73 1394 (Via Apollo Pro KT133 chipset)
CPU= Athlon 1.2
Kernel= 2.4.22-21mdk
Graphics = ATI Radeon 9200se 128Mb
Driver = fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-3.2.8 (from ATI)

> Also, if you can't get AGP working, there may be an option to tell it
> to not bother, and just use PCI.  The documentation for whatever driver
> you're using may be of use here.

Erm... no. Docs do not mention anything like that.

--
The rule is, jam to-morrow and jam yesterday, but never jam today.
		-- Lewis Carroll