[plug] P4 1.4

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Dec 20 11:17:48 WST 2003

On Saturday 20 December 2003 11:02, Garry wrote:
> > Although I would point out that mine spends a lot of it's time doing Divx
> > encoding, and most movie length runs take the best part of 24 hours.
> > Perhaps I just got a good 'un?
>
> I don't understand why a Divx encoding takes 24 hours..

It depends what process the encoding uses. There's lots of algorithims to
choose from and they all take varying amounts of passes and processing, and
hence time. The one I use takes ages, but in my experience, consistently
produces excellent results regardless of the type of video being input.

I expect I could use a much faster algorithm and still get the same quality
output for some types of input. I used to mess around doing this kind of
investigation, but it got boring. The box has cycles to spare and time is not
an issue.

--
> eatapple
core dump