[OT] Buttonless mice [was: Re: [plug] Good GUI Interface Design]

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sat Dec 20 19:21:38 WST 2003

In message <20031220110433.GB6560 at erdos.home>
on Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 07:04:33PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> *grumble*

Feel free to do the same to me, as it will save me the effort ;-)

> On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 06:23:19PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
> Yes.  I use
[...]
> copying on those occasions where it is more convenient -
> like, say, just about all the time when I'm using vim ;-)

Okay. (The big thing for me was learning to judge "how many"
characters/lines/words I needed to move.)

> But copying between multiple windows generally involves using the
> mouse anyway,

Two personal habits work against my use of X11 selection pasting:

 - I tend to use selections to "highlight" portions of text that I don't
   want to forget about (e.g. if I either move a window to the back-
   ground or walk away, I select the things I want to come back to, or
   if I am trying to match up bits of data I might highlight the
   corresponding portions). X11 apps don't support this well, because
   the current selection is revoked when a new selection replaces the
   existing contents of the selection buffer.
 - I tend to fidget (it's either that or sit still and develop all those
   aches and pains that people keep blaming on computers). This means
   that (a) I generate a lot of extraneous mouse events (b) the mouse
   uses only one hand, leaving the other hand underutilised.

> I'd rather not use a method that requires extra hand-hand
> coordination.

Interesting...I prefer to occupy my time effectively by interleaving my
hand activities (no wait, I told that wrong...).

--
I might have forgotten to add these: