[plug] Can't write to home directory input/output error (SuSE)

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sun Dec 21 15:48:58 WST 2003

Hi,

In message <20031221073748.21301.qmail at web40305.mail.yahoo.com>
on Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 06:37:48PM +1100, russ wrote:
> On the second machine, while upgrading, I got an error saying the package
> devs-9.0 failed installing. I then finished the rest of the upgrade. When I log
> in as myself, I get "input/output error" whenever I try to write to my home
> directory.

"Input/output error" is generally a strange (worrying) sort of thing to
see. You might like to have a look at your /var/log/{kern.log,messages}
or dmesg to check that there's no obvious clue left there after the I/O
error messages and then perform a disk check (filesystem check).
Commonly, this is done by rebooting and running "fsck" (perhaps
`shutdown -F -r now` could be used, or you could boot from a
recovery/install CD to do the fsck?).