[plug] Can't write to home directory input/output error

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Dec 21 16:03:37 WST 2003

> Any ideas or pointers?

As James suggested, check your system logs for strange errors and fsck
your filesystems. Additionally, though, I strongly suggest you use
smartctl to query your drives and see if they report any bad sectors etc.

If you see messages like:

hda: dma transfer error: status=0x51 ( DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 1231231
(that's not exact, but something _like_ that)

then you'll definitely want to check your hard disks, cables and/or
connections.

Running SMART self-tests can occasionally be useful too, but the only
drives I've found the self-tests really helpful on so far have been
laptop disks.

Craig Ringer