[plug] Slightly OT.. 5 1/4 Drives

Ben New ben at leftclick.com.au
Sun Dec 21 22:19:49 WST 2003

Ahhhh memories...

Acorn was the company and the computers were called BBC Master
Compacts.  They were standard issue in WA schools I think.  They had
those dodgy ribbon cables between the box and the keyboard, and that
submarine game with the wierd caterpillar thing.  At that stage I had an
Amstrad CPC 664 which was much better IMO, and had at least the same
stuff that was useful - BASIC and LOGO.  Of course the C64 was the most
popular but they always had those horrendous tape drives (they had
floppy drives but nobody seemed to have them).  Very resistant to
physical punishment, though (probably a requirement caused by the tape
drive...) and it also had a cartridge slot on which Wizards of Wor could
be played ;-)

Going back even further... check out this baby, it's got pots!  (don't
think it will run Linux 2.6 though):
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=787

Ben

PS.  I promise I'll stop leading threads waaay off topic now ;-}  I hope
there's nobody on this list from their main POP email account on a
dialup connection...  :-/