[plug] OT: Acorn Archimedes

Ben New ben at leftclick.com.au
Mon Dec 22 21:01:43 WST 2003

Nick Bannon wrote:

>The 8-bit BBC's Chris mentioned had one of the most impressive early 3D
>(wireframe) games - Elite. (closest to "Frontier" on the Amiga) One of
>the same authors (David Braben) worked on both.

<bollocks>
Actually, Elite existed on a number of platforms (although the BBC was
the original platform) and was also called Firebird. I first played it
on a BBC but also played it on Amiga and once or twice on MS-DOS. There
would have also been a C64 version and many others in all probability.
It was way ahead of its time in both graphics and gameplay, was playable
at least 10 years after it was released, and wasn't totally
violence-based which is very rare, especially in the scifi genre ;-)
Docking to the space stations was always really hard though until you
could afford the automagical docking upgrade. Talk about nostalgia!
</bollocks>

--
Ben New
ben at leftclick.com.au