[plug] Digital cameras with gphoto/linux...

David & Lisa Buddrige buddrige at wasp.net.au
Fri Dec 26 17:58:45 WST 2003

>David & Lisa Buddrige wrote:
>>Does this mean that I should be able to read pic's or movies off any given
>>digital camera as long as it supports USB?
>It would mean you'd have to buy a separate memory card reader, I think
>you can get ones that do every type of memory card for around $60.
>
>Basically I'd buy a digital camera based on features / image quality and
>if it doesn't work under Linux (yet), then buy a memory card reader to
>read whatever type of memory card the digital camera you buy takes (e.g.
>compact flash, secure digital, memorystick etc.).

Can all memory card readers be read under linux?  I have a laptop running
mandrake, but only with usb ports - (no serial or parallel ports at all).  I
want to be able to download pic's onto this laptop when I'm out-and-about
(ie. on holiday)

I've not actually heard of "memory card readers" specifically - I assume
they're some kind of gadget that can be plugged into a computer.  Is this
correct assumption?

Also, can they [memory-card-readers] be purchased for <= $50?

thanks

David.