[plug] Digital cameras with gphoto/linux...

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Dec 26 22:12:08 WST 2003

Ben Jensz wrote:
>> I had an A70 a few months back now (which is the 3MP version of the
>> A60) and the photos taken with it were great.
>>
> I'll clarify that.  Good photos for a digital camera anyway... digital
> isn't close to the resolution and clarity of film.  Thats why I sold my
> A70 and bought a Nikon F80 SLR.

Yeah.... but if you'll be using your images on a computer anyway then
you're quite likely going to get better quality off a digital. Certainly
you'll need an _apallingly_ expensive scanner otherwise - minimum $5k or
preferably a drum scanner.

I'm yet to see any scanned photo that compares to the quality of our
Canon Eos 10D (6.5 megapixel SLR) at work - the colour and sharpness is
incredible. It's sharp down to the last pixel on at least ~3000x2000
photos, and the colour is great even under difficult lighting. If you'll
be working on the images in digital form anyway...

Of course, for the price it should be.

http://alpha02.c-wss.com/wsss/ApplServlet?SV=WWUCA900

The POST has found excellent results with even our older digital, a
high-end Nikon, though that one was _really_ tempramental about
lighting. Every fluro shot came out awful, in particular. Very sharp,
though.

I increasingly suspect that the digital camera mantra is "lenses lenses
lenses lenses lenses lenses..."

Craig Ringer