[plug] Digital cameras with gphoto/linux...

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Fri Dec 26 23:56:06 WST 2003

Coming in rather late, but here's my experience for what it's worth:

We have a Sony F717 5.1 mega-pixel camera. It uses memory stick and
supports PTP and some other USB upload protocol. It took me forever to
make it work properly under Linux, because it was supposed to be like a
F707, but it wasn't. (USB, Linux and I are tenuous friends at best.)

During the time it wasn't working I purchased a TrancendUSA TS0MFLRD7
card reader which I still have not been able to make work - although Jon
Miller <jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au> reports it working on this list.

The camera was above the budget you describe, but the people I got lots
of assistance from were:
      * Sony Central on Hay Street in Perth
      * Plaza Digital, also on Hay Street in Plaza Arcade.

The camera has changed the way we take photos on our trip. Until the
arrival of this device, I was a Canon EOS user. The Canon has come with
us on our trip, but it has yet to be pulled out of its bag. I've
purchased some larger memory sticks for when I haven't got my computer
setup to download to, but each one takes around 60 shots.

My wife is no longer afraid to push the shutter, because there are no
development costs, thus we get more pictures of more events. I regularly
burn our photos to CD to free up space on my drive, but some make it
onto the net as photos in our photo album.

The camera supports Digital Zoom, but I've turned that off. It also
supports Optical Zoom, between the two I'm supposed to be able to pick
off the pimple on a gnats bottom, but I prefer to zoom to that level in
gimp.

Have fun,

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S34°43'17" - E150°34'56" (Kangaroo Valley, NSW)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..