[plug] Kernel 2.4.22-1-k7 installed but

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Sun Dec 28 11:44:12 WST 2003

On Sun, 2003-12-28 at 14:22, Laurie Anderson wrote:
>   Found that I had not lost the OS anyway put the CD in & ran
>   rescue root=/dev/hda, rescue root=/dev/hda2, rescue root=/dev/hda4, rescbf24, resccomp & rescvanl
>   tried them all the result is essentially the same, (hda1 the boot partition & hda3 the swap partition)
>
>   Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:02
>
>   finally got into the the system but have no idea what I am looking for or where it may be located
>
>   suggestions please
>
>   Laurie

The following symbolic links exist in the root:

        initrd.img -> boot/initrd.img-2.4.20-3-686
        initrd.img.old -> boot/initrd.img-2.4.20
        vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-3-686
        vmlinuz.old -> boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20

Each of these are referred to in /etc/lilo.conf

In lilo.conf there are the following two sections:

        image=/vmlinuz
                label=Linux
                initrd=/initrd.img
                read-only
                append="cdrom=ide-scsi ide0=ata66 apm=on"
        #       restricted
        #       alias=1

        image=/vmlinuz.old
                label=LinuxOLD
                initrd=/initrd.img.old
                read-only
                append="ide0=ata66 apm=on"
                optional
        #       restricted
        #       alias=2

As you can see, the image line refers to the vmlinuz* links in the root
and the initrd line refers to the initrd* links in the root.

You need to make lilo.conf, the links and the files in /boot match up.
My /boot looks like this:
        System.map-2.4.20
        System.map-2.4.20-3-686
        boot.0300
        config-2.4.20
        config-2.4.20-3-686
        debianlilo.bmp
        initrd.img-2.4.20
        initrd.img-2.4.20-3-686
        lost+found
        map
        sarge.bmp
        sid.bmp
        vmlinuz-2.4.20
        vmlinuz-2.4.20-3-686

As you can see, there are two kernel versions in this directory (and
some other files).

After you have matched up all three - start with /boot, because those
are the kernels you actually have, and symlink to them, then tweak
lilo.conf (if required), then run lilo.

I've now had this problem a few times and after your heart stops
pounding, you can quite simply fix this...

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S34°43'17" - E150°34'56" (Kangaroo Valley, NSW)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..