[plug] Kernel 2.4.22-1-k7 installed but

Laurie Anderson vautin at aijv.com.au
Sun Dec 28 14:23:58 WST 2003

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:44:12 +1100
Onno Benschop <onno at itmaze.com.au> wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-12-28 at 14:22, Laurie Anderson wrote:

> The following symbolic links exist in the root:
>
>         initrd.img -> boot/initrd.img-2.4.20-3-686
>         initrd.img.old -> boot/initrd.img-2.4.20
>         vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-3-686
>         vmlinuz.old -> boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20
>
> Each of these are referred to in /etc/lilo.conf
>
> In lilo.conf there are the following two sections:
>
>         image=/vmlinuz
>                 label=Linux
>                 initrd=/initrd.img
>                 read-only
>                 append="cdrom=ide-scsi ide0=ata66 apm=on"
>         #       restricted
>         #       alias=1
>
>         image=/vmlinuz.old
>                 label=LinuxOLD
>                 initrd=/initrd.img.old
>                 read-only
>                 append="ide0=ata66 apm=on"
>                 optional
>         #       restricted
>         #       alias=2
>
> As you can see, the image line refers to the vmlinuz* links in the root
> and the initrd line refers to the initrd* links in the root.
>
> You need to make lilo.conf, the links and the files in /boot match up.
> My /boot looks like this:
>         System.map-2.4.20
>         System.map-2.4.20-3-686
>         boot.0300
>         config-2.4.20
>         config-2.4.20-3-686
>         debianlilo.bmp
>         initrd.img-2.4.20
>         initrd.img-2.4.20-3-686
>         lost+found
>         map
>         sarge.bmp
>         sid.bmp
>         vmlinuz-2.4.20
>         vmlinuz-2.4.20-3-686
>
> As you can see, there are two kernel versions in this directory (and
> some other files).
>
> After you have matched up all three - start with /boot, because those
> are the kernels you actually have, and symlink to them, then tweak
> lilo.conf (if required), then run lilo.
>
> I've now had this problem a few times and after your heart stops
> pounding, you can quite simply fix this...
>

> Onno Benschop

  Onno Benschop,
  Will change my three files to match your more closely naturally some items will be
  different eg: vmlinuz-2.4.20 will be vmlinuz-2.4.22-1-k7 on my system, now I have seem the
  appropriate files from your system I realise that the existing lilo on my system does not
  reflect some of the changes since kernel-image-2.4.18bf24

  If all goes well we will fly again, will let you know.

  Thanks

  Laurie