[plug] Raid-5 recovery

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Mon Dec 29 09:36:19 WST 2003

Might want to have a look at this system as well.
http://www.promise.com/product/product_detail_eng.asp?productId=95&familyId=6

JLM

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS, ASE
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

Craig Ringer wrote:
>> If someone could suggest a cheap way of backing up 720GB of data I
>> might sleep easier at night.
>

> 2 x 300GB maxtor hard disks in RAID0 or configured as two LVM PVs. Make
> a giant disk image, then be happy.
>
> http://www.maxtor.com/en/products/ata/enterprise_applications/maxline_ii/index.htm

Neat idea.. I might look at that when I get my SATA stuff going.

> Alternately, depending on the content of your main storage you might be
> able to get away with one of them and pass the data through gzip. This
> may or may not be slower.

Hmm 600mb of it is MPEG-2 Video and mp3 audio.. Not gonna compress much
with gzip :p(

> I'm planning on popping 3 of these drives into the POST's storage server
> soon, as we're outgrowing our current 3x120GB RAID5 array.
>
> It really is a pain backing up the kind of storage that not even
> long-tape SDLT can handle, isn't it?

OOoo yeah..

It's going to be worse when I crack the 1TB mark.
At least I don't have to back it up onto 360k floppies with MS-Backup :p)

Brad

they are addressed. If you have received this email in error
please notify the sender immediately.

This e-mail message has been scanned for Viruses