[plug] building static binaries

Luke Dudney dex at wn.com.au
Mon Dec 29 14:56:47 WST 2003

I'm trying to install EtherApe 0.9.0 onto a server system which does not
have any X or gnome libraries (libX11, libgnome, libglade etc)
installed. Etherape's dependencies are numerous, but I'm not really keen
on installing all of them onto this server. I'm assuming I can compile a
static binary on my workstation and then run that on the server.

I've tried setting CFLAGS=-static but this results in an error:
checking for u_char... yes
checking for res_init... no
checking for res_init in -lbind... no
checking for res_init in -lresolv... no
checking for __res_init in -lc... yes
checking for res_mkquery... no
checking for res_mkquery in -lbind... no
checking for res_mkquery in -lresolv... no
configure: error: No resolver library found

It compiles fine with CFLAGS unset.

Obviously I'm not going about this the right way. Can someone suggest
how I can achieve what I'm trying to do? Is it even advisable, or should
I just bite the bullet and install the deps?

My workstation is Fedora Core 1 and the server is RH9.
workstation$ gcc -v
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.3.2 20031022 (Red Hat Linux 3.3.2-1)

Cheers
Luke