[plug] Red Hat ending it consumer distribution

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Tue Dec 30 08:31:53 WST 2003

No,  it was mailed I found stored that got accidently sent, when there had already been a discussion about the subject.  As I stated in the 2nd e-mail please ignore the first message.  A system error had occurred.  Let's not harp on this issue please, end of discussion.

Thanks

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS, ASE
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

On 29 Dec 2003, Jon Miller wrote:

> Please ignore last message(s) sent, for some reason these e-mails are
> just now being sent.
>

> On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 19:44, Jon Miller wrote:
> > I would like to get members viewpoint on a trend I see developing and it
> > could spell the end to "free Open Source software" as Linux is moving
> > into the mainstream market and business starts adapting Linux, does this
> > mean that others will be following suit?

I don't follow why any delay in the message being distributed, causes
the request for ignorance of the invitation for opinions regarding the
perceived developing trend regarding Linux distributions.

Does it mean that, while waiting to have your message above distributed,
you had second thoughts, and got "cold feet" about your request for
opinions about the perceived developing trend?

Anyway, I believe that the issue has previously been discussed on the
list, in which, in referring to the intended ending of life-support
by Red Hat, for RH 7.x this month, and RH 9 in April, I believe that I
mentioned something like it apparently being time to turn to Debian
Linux, if able to get around the apparently insurmountable installation
system in Debian Linux. Whilst an improved installer appears to have
been created for the testing version of Debian Linux, due to the mirrors
having been down, it has been unavailable. It was hoped to be fixed up
by the end of this month, but I am unsure of the progress.

An unfortunate thing, is that, due to the differences in distributions,
things occur like a software package sold by Anne's employer, that is
only supported on Red Hat and SUSE distributions of Linux. That is not
to say that that application does not run on other distributions - it is
known to run on Debian, for example - it is just not supported on other
distributions.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale